Group Manager, Crash Reconstruction Expert
Mr. John Isbister joined Mecanica after 32 years with the California Highway Patrol, where his experience included communications, road patrol, and 12 years as a full-time member of the Department’s Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team (MAIT).
He specializes in transportation collision documentation, analysis and reconstruction, including the access and interpretation of data from Event Data Recorders (EDR) and Heavy Vehicle Event Data Recorders (HVEDR).
- Investigated over 1,000 traffic collisions and has assisted in thousands of collision investigations.
- Has been responsible for the systematic documentation, analysis and reconstruction of hundreds of automobile, heavy vehicle, motorcycle, bicycle and pedestrian collisions. Has also imaged hundreds of passenger and commercial vehicle Event Data Recorders (EDR).
- Responded to a multitude of major and high-profile transportation accidents in order to document and analyze vehicle damage and roadway physical evidence, as well as EDR’s, to reconstruct transportation collisions.
- Conducted controlled testing and instrumented vehicle research specific to collision analysis.
- Served as a mentor and consultant to other collision reconstructionists.
- Testifies as an expert in the areas of collision reconstruction and analysis.
- Available to review, consult and testify to police practices and procedures from his experience.
In addition to his law enforcement experience, Mr. Isbister served in the Army National Guard for 22 years. He deployed within California in support of wildfires, earthquakes and civil unrest, and overseas to Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Mr. Isbister is a service-connected disabled veteran.